Monday, July 7, 2008

Fireworks Done Right


I love the Fourth of July. In fact, it is my all-time favorite holiday. I love the BBQs, the red/white/blue decorations, the waving American flags, the day off from work, the parades, and (of course) the FIREWORKS! I like to get to the fireworks early and set up camp and wander around the booths and chat with "the locals."

Last year I was in Madison for the 4th, and Ryan was in Washington at a family reunion. I hitched a ride with some friends (THANKS SHEENA AND JOHNNY!), and we couldn't find a place to park. We finally found a place to sit, but I couldn't really see and the BOOMS were far away.

This year Ryan out-did himself. Thursday night we attended the "family-friendly" fireworks. They were held at the ampitheater by the zoo. While the local symphony performed, we walked around and visited the carnival-like booths. All the music during the show was classical. It was great, and we had a great view.

Friday night we attended the "younger-crowd" fireworks. They were held downtown on the riverfront. While a local band performed, we walked around. All the music during the show was the regular Independence Day stuff. It was great, and the booms were so loud, they actually hurt my ear drums.

Ryan has definitely made up for leaving me last year. It was a great 4th of July. I hope everyone enjoyed their BBQs and fireworks. Happy Independence Day!

1 comment:

Sheena said...

We had a bbq on the 4th, wish you guys could have been there with us, although I'm glad that you actually got to see some good fireworks this year!