I have had a chronic cough for almost 3 weeks now. Last week the OB said I could take a cough suppressant, but I decided that would really just cover the underlying problem (which was still unknown).
Anyway, I kept thinking I was getting a cold, but the runny nose, stuffy ears, and yucky head never came. Yesterday I went to meet our family physician for the first time (she's going to be our pediatrician too), and she looked in my nose, throat, and ears and then listened to me breath and declared... no congestion. Then WHY, I asked with obvious impatience, do I have the nastiest sounding cough in the world?
Her reply: acid reflux. Did anyone else out there know that heartburn could cause a chronic cough? And what is the remedy: Delivery. And that, my friend, is my number goal right now: getting my little guy out.
I'm ready buddy; make your debut! Otherwise, I may be shunned from society as a carrier of the plague.
11 comments:
I didn't know you could get a cough from acid reflux! That's crazy! Sorry you have to put up with that!
But yay! I'm glad you seem to be well on your way to delivery!
I hope he comes fast, for your sake!
And yes, Bethany gave me the cute little bath set you sent our way. A thank you card is coming soon...I just haven't buckled down to do it yet...
PS You look GREAT.
I hope Collin (is that what you decided on?) makes his grand entrance (or should I say exit?) soon too. Good luck with your cough until then.
Didn't know you could get a cough from reflux - good to know...I just know it keeps me up at nights. :-) Only a few more days and your little guy will be here. Very exciting.
Oh! I'm so excited for you guys! When I went at 36 weeks with Carson, I was also dilated to a 3 and he was born five days later!
I will opt not to tell you how long I was dilated to a 2 and 80 percent effaced with Abby...it will just depress you.
That is weird about the cough, but I am excited for you! Your baby will be here soon!
You look so GREAT!! Good luck I hope he comes soon. You'll be a wonderful mom & Merry Christmas! If you have him Tues Dec. 16th that's Brooklyn's birthday!
You do look so good. It will be anytime! How exciting. I hope your cough is allowing you to sleep well at night, because sleepless nights lay ahead. But sometimes I liked being awake and just looking at Brennan. Good luck with the baby! I'm excited to see pictures soooo soon.
Sorry to hear about the cough/reflux. That's no fun. But it will just make you doubly excited for delivery, I guess! Hopefully it will all happen soon. I was dilated to NOTHING the week of my due date, but then went into labor on my own a couple days later, so you never know. I had Reeve in three hours from the first contraction (though I missed both the epidural and the doctor, so for your sake I hope it's not QUITE that fast!) Good luck with everything. Can't wait to hear all the good news!!
so this is way behind, but I wanted to comment on your induction question--I was induced with both girls. The first time I was a week over, and it was awful--I was in labor for 24 hours. I didn't have pitocin until about 12 hours in, I just had the gel and that sent me into non-productive labor. and then afterwards I started hemorraging and so THEN they ended up giving me 3 bags of pitocin to try to stop the contractions. that was not fun.
The second time, I was induced a week early and I didn't have pitocin again--it was this little tablet thing inserted against my cervix. I was only in labor for about seven hours and it was MUCH better--my second baby was almost a pound lighter than my first baby, and it made the delivery so much easier (she was seven and a half pounds, my first baby was 8 lbs 9 oz).
After my first induction, I swore I'd never have another, but I am so glad I had the second induction, because having the baby a week earlier was WAY better with the smaller baby. I just really felt like going to 41 weeks made it a lot harder--the baby was much bigger, my body was more exhausted, etc. I also really liked being able to know WHEN I was having the baby, since my husband is incredibly busy and we were literally faced with one day (with both kids) when he could actually attend the birth--with both girls, he had meetings the next day beginning at 7 am, so I was grateful for the chance to have the baby at a time when he would there, when my regular doctor would actually be there (as opposed to some doctor I'd never seen before who was on call), etc.
So if you decide to be induced--I'm all for it. I did plan to go naturally with both girls, and ended up having an epidural after 12 hours with the first, and I was so grateful for that epidural. so keep your mind open on that too, if it's something you haven't decided on for sure!
SO sorry about the acid reflux - who knew!
I keep checking everyday for updates on his birthday:) - can't wait to hear (hopefully soon:)
Post a Comment