Friday, May 8, 2009

Swaddling

So Collin sleeps like a charm; he has since he was only about 7 weeks old. (We count it as a blessing for my early-morning rising for Seminary.) We have swaddled him every night with a special velcro blanket called a Kiddopotamus. We love it! (Thanks again Rachel)
We have even purchased the larger size as he outgrew the first size. What a genius invention. Anyway, Collin is getting stronger and stronger though, and despite our best efforts, he seems to get out, and then he wakes himself up.
Luckily, the last two nights, he's found his thumb and put himself back to sleep.
Now we have a new challenge. This is how we found him this morning:
Remember how I wanted to report he had figured out how to roll over? I don't know if this really counts, but he has been rolling to his side for a week now, and sometimes he falls to his belly and sometimes he falls back to his back.
Apparently, last night, he discovered the joys of belly-sleeping. Unfortunately, due to SIDS, babies aren't supposed to sleep on their bellies. Therefore, I seek your advice. Do sleep positioners work? If you have used one and you liked it, where did you get it and how much was it? Basically, do you have any recommendations for us to try to get Collin to stay on his back at night?

8 comments:

Amy Rose said...

I asked my doctor about that, and he said once they learn to roll, you no longer have control over how they sleep, so I just said a lot of prayers!

Heather said...

I was going to say the same thing as above. I've heard that you should put them to sleep on their backs and if they roll over themselves it's okay. Brennan LOVES his stomach. He immediately rolls over onto his side and then eventually ends up on his belly when he's asleep. I think by this point, when they are rolling. they are strong enough to lift their head and move themselves if needed.

Jennifer said...

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much, Lindsey. But I will say that we used two triangle shaped wedges that velcro to a soft thin mat. Lane slept inbetween that until he was like 10 months. That kept him in one place and I believe helped him sleep soundly. And that was way after he learned to roll over. It's worth a shot. Sorry you don't live here or I'd just let you borrow mine and you could see how you liked it! Now that Lane is so big and doesn't need it, I have seen him in a couple of funny positions- bum in the air, face down, etc. I'm sure there are more, but we rarely check up on him while he's sleeping. So who knows! You could try something like that if you're worried, but I think now that Collin is older and more mobile, he would just move if he were uncomfortable or couldn't breathe. I'm no doctor, so I guess ask you pediatrician if you're worried. He's a cutie!!!

Katrina said...

We did use a sleep positioner from target... it was like 12 bucks.

BUT... by the time asher was 4 months old we had started letting him sleep on his tummy. He had been sleeping on his side in the positioner pretty much since birth and once he could roll over and hold his head up really well we didn't worry. He always sleeps on his tummy now. In fact, if he rolls to his back, he wakes up.

Emily C. said...

Linds--just take a spare receiving blanket and fold it in half and then half again (so it's in a long rectangle shape). Lay Collin on it on his back, and then roll each side of the blanket under until it's snug against his sides. Presto! Instant sleep positioner! We did this with Ella for a few months when she first started rolling, and she slept better this way. But when she got bigger and stronger, there was no need for it anymore, so we just let her roll.

The Schroeder Family said...

We loved those swaddling blankets! I think we had 2 or 3 in every size. Grant slept in his car seat until he was 6 months old...so no help on the roll-over. He just loved sleeping in his car seat (which was a blessing some of the time).

Ammieloris said...

He is SO adorable! His cuteness makes me want to gush and cuddle him. (Thank goodness I have my own boy to cuddle!) And I wouldn't worry about him rolling over. I agree with Heather. Once they are big enough to roll over, they are strong enough to take care of their sleeping needs.

Bethany said...

Carston started sleeping on his belly when he figured out how to roll over. He prefers it. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.