Sunday, June 21, 2009

Six Months - 1/2 Birthday

Weight: 18 lbs. 5 oz. (65%)
Height: 27.75 inches (89%)
Head: 42 cm (9%)

SITTING

Collin started sitting by himself last week! I was at a visiting teaching appointment, and we were playing together on the floor, and I let go of him and... he didn't fold in half! It only lasted 5-10 seconds, but he has done it several times since too. I figure it'll get longer and longer until I have a real, full-blown sitting baby. I can't believe how strong he is.

BINKY
I have a binky baby. Collin prefers sucking to any other activity. He doesn’t care if it is his thumb, his big toe, three of his fingers or his binky. I should have known he’d be a sucker when we saw him on his ultrasound sucking his thumb at 22 weeks, but I never would have guessed he would always need to have something in there. I apologize for the many, many photos of him with his binky in. He just likes it. I’m sure in the years to come I’ll seek your advice about weaning him from it, but until then, I’ll just let him enjoy what he enjoys most.

GIGGLES

Collin saves his giggles for special occasions. They are few and far between, and we really have to work for them. He likes his neck and belly kissed. He also will sometimes give us a giggle when he swings from Daddy's arms. But when they come... They are so worth the effort. We love Collin's giggles.


HAIR

When Collin was born, he had a little dark hair. Over the first few months, he lost all of it except for a little along his collar line in the back. We called it his mullet. Many people have even asked us if we shave his head. Now he is starting to get his hair back, but it is coming in so blonde you can’t even see it. Sad. I guess it’s good he isn’t a girl.

WIGGLE WORM

Collin never sits still. He is the wiggliest wiggle worm there ever was. It is especially difficult to hold him while walking. He too wants to walk and tries to climb up your waist. He loves to stand on my bladder, hug his toes close, and roll over and over again. This week he started to realize he can make progress across the floor if we goes in the same direction again and again. He never ceases to amaze me with his new crazy body positions. What a wiggler.


BUSY

Collin prefers to be busy. He likes to have lots of activities and to be going, going, going. This is unfortunate since I prefer to remain home and pretty mellow as much as possible. He is also very noisy. He loves to hear himself. He has a lot of inflection in his voice and loves to explore screaming.

TEETHING

Four signs your baby may be teething (from Baby Center):
• He looks like the winner of his own personal wet T-shirt contest.
• When he chews on his fist, the expression "self-cannibalizing" leaps to mind.
• You've exhausted all other explanations for his crabbiness.
• You've exhausted all other explanations for your crabbiness.

I just liked this list and wanted to include it. Collin is very drool-ey and wishes both hands and both feet all fit in his mouth at once, but not a bit crabby (unless he's tired).
The doctor predicts it'll be another month before any teeth break through the surface.

I feel it worth noting that since last Friday, Collin has been the happiest, pleasant-est, funnest baby ever. We are really enjoying the new joys of having a 6-month old around the house. What a fun little guy!

5 comments:

Heather said...

I love your blog entries! He's getting so big! Yeah for sitting. Before you know it he'll be crawling around. . . and not just wiggly in your arms ;) but moving everywhere.

Amy Rose said...

He's such a cutie!

The weather has been rotten this week, soo hot! I forgot to send you my home phone, but I will.

Katrina said...

He is a cute one for sure! Well done, Linz. And he will get hair eventually. Babies are allowed to be bald.

Ammieloris said...

What a cutie! This is such a fun post. I love reading about his sitting and his toes and how he loves to suck on things. And I never noticed that he was bald. Gideon's almost bald, too. He's starting to grow some tougher little kid hair, and I miss that super soft baby down.

Tasha said...

Wow, looks like you guys have been having a lot of FUN! you're grandparents farm is beautiful! With the tornado & move I have been out of the loop for awhile! Just a word of advise push the binki, don't let Collin suck his thumb!!! Trust me I have a 3 year old that we CAN NOT break the habit we have tried EVERYTHING!!! Breaking the binki habit was much easier with our first one! So, just a word of advise, but do what you want! I'm glad to see you are doing good!