We just returned from a great family vacation to Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA. Here are some highlights from our trip...
And, of course, don't forget the needed apology note.

Ryan's parents live on a beautiful piece of land overlooking Mount Saint Helen's outside of Vancouver, Washington.
Ryan and I took the four-wheelers down to the nearby river, which feeds into the Columbia River, Thursday afternoon. We skipped rocks and held a few contests: biggest splash, smallest splash, farthest throw, most skips, skip across to the other side, etc. It was great fun.
Maybe we'll end up over there one day, but for now, the gardens were enough Japanese culture for me!

Side story: I was walking with Collin as Ryan shot some more photos of the prize-winning roses, and a lady working on scrapbooking sitting on a bench asked how old Collin was. I told her, and we started talking about how we were both on vacation in Portland. She told me she was from Alabama on the way to a conference for "Stampin' It Up" in Salt Lake City. Of course I asked, "Are you a member of the Church? ... like the LDS Church? ...you know, the Mormon church?" She (luckily) answered yes, and we continued talking for about 15 minutes. Small world.
Friday night we left Collin in the capable hands of his grandparents and stayed in a beautiful hotel on the Columbia River in Portland. We sat in the hot tub, ate a fancy dinner, walked along the river, enjoyed the fitness room... 
and generally had a great time away from our responsibilities. We are already looking for another opportunity to escape!
He quickly tired of it, and we handed it off to his cousin. Most of the rest of the way up he switched between Daddy's shoulders and Daddy's hip.
While at the top, Ryan repurposed our backpack, and
Voila! Another UNcomfortable ride for Collin.

***
Flying with a Baby
Thanks to some great advice from many friends, 3/4 of Collin's flying experience was great. There was some crying each time he needed to nap, but he did well. That is until the last flight. Yikes.
Unfortunately, he was stuck in our laps for all 6-7 hours each way since all our flights were full. How do you apologize for the crying, kicking and flailing arms?
Start with a good treat.
Attach some needed ear plugs.
Riding the Four-Wheelers
Perusing the Japanese Gardens
In a search of things to do in Portland, Ryan found some beautiful gardens reminiscent of his mission.
We loved the fabulous mosses and shady trees.
In a search of things to do in Portland, Ryan found some beautiful gardens reminiscent of his mission.
Eating at the Rose Gardens
We got separated from the rest of the fam for a while and decided to explore the neighboring free gardens. The roses were definitely past their prime, but Collin really enjoyed breaking the rules and chowing down.
What a funny kid!
Enjoying a Date Night
Side story: As we checked into our hotel, I noticed three separate people having conversations in sign language. I thought it was odd to have so many, and I commented about it to Ryan. As soon as we got to our room, we changed and headed to the pool area. There were lots and lots of people down there (it was super hot), but... silence. It was as quiet as if there wasn't anyone there at all. Everyone was speaking in sign language! It was funny because we suddenly felt like we were in a foreign country. We didn't even know if they were talking bad about us! A bit later, two fighter jets flew over. We were sitting in the hot tub, and we look up at the loud noise. Then we noticed: We were the only ones who looked up! The next morning we passed a conference room with a sign: Deaf Women United. Mystery solved.
Hiking to the Waterfall
Hiking to the Waterfall
On Monday morning we had breakfast at Ryan's uncle's 1950s diner in Vancouver (if you are ever out that way: Stardust Diner. Awesome!). It was delicious. Then we headed out on a hike to a waterfall, renowned for its beauty. With a classification of "easy", we thought it'd be a leisurely stroll. We think it was "easy"... compared to a mountain!
Collin started out in this make-shift hiking backpack.
Side story: So we are coming down from the falls, and Collin is really tired and fussy. Ryan is wearing him in the backpack, and we pass some people heading up. I am singing "Old McDonald" to try to calm down Collin. I say to them, "Sorry, it's the only song he likes." They look at us strangely and keep walking. Not seconds after they pass us, they all turn around and in unison say, "OHHHH!" They all totally thought I was singing "Old McDonald" to RYAN because "it's the only one he likes."
Collin also recognized it was a tough hike, and he expressed his discomfort regularly for us, but...

Wow, it was well worth it.
Time with Family
Most of our time was spent with family.
Collin has four other cousins who filled the house with noise and toys.
Ella (3 yrs), Collin (7 mos), Grady (22 mos), Grant (5 yrs), James (13 mos)
It was lots of fun. Ironically, the youngest three (the only ones still in diapers) are all in the same size. We even all like the same brand, so there were lots and lots of Huggies Snug & Dry Size 3s filling up the trash!
Side story: The cousin on the far left is named Andrea. When I was teaching my first year of 6th grade, she was in 6th grade. We spent about an hour one Thanksgiving talking about our favorite books and giving each other recommendations. She is going to be a junior in the fall. Of course, all these cousins are too cool for us now, but I can't believe my first class of kids is that old. Time flies!
Collin also got to meet more of his great-grandparents. This is Great-Grandma Williams. Great-Grandma and Great-Grandpa Fooks also came for a few minutes from Canada, but I wasn't able to get a picture before they took off.
Ryan's aunt and her children were in town from Connecticut, and many of his aunts and uncles and cousins live right in the Portland/Vancouver area.
***
We had an awesome trip. We love our family, and we are so glad we got to see them. Thanks to everyone. Love you guys!
10 comments:
Looks like a great vacation. We misse you guys here, of course. I am glad to hear you and Ryan got away for a little while. What a great thing!
OH ya, and did you give those Oreo treats out to everyone on the flight? I am super impressed.
OH ya, and did you give those Oreo treats out to everyone on the flight? I am super impressed.
So much fun. I'm so glad you got to have a date night!!! Logan's brother told us that he saw you guys in their ward on Sunday!! Small world. Crazy that we were both in the North West at the same time. We left their house on Saturday to get back to Seattle. It would have been great to run into you in OR!!! Love the pictures.
What a wonderful vacation! I loved all the side stories! My favorite had to be the singing one...that Ryan only likes Old McDonald. Too cute. What a great idea with the oreos. I think I'm going to have to use that in a couple weeks. Only I may have to give out the Jumbo stuffed ones to make up for the touble Grant will cause on the plane.
Great post, Linds. It was fun for me to go on your trip with you. :) And you went above and beyond with the airplane treats. I think I just gave little Trader Joe cookies and a note-- the ear plugs idea was brilliant. You all look fabulous, and that date overnight at the hotel looked awesome!!! I'm so jealous. I miss you a lot around here. Summer's a bit lonely! Oh, and Collin is very, very cute. And super photogenic. OK, I'm done with this super long comment. A big Madison hug for you!!! xoxo
Yeah I'm totally not surprised that the scrapbooking Stampin' it up lady was Mormon!
What a great vacation! Your little date night sounds heavenly! I bet you thought about Collin the whole time though! Haha. Been there. :) Great pictures!
What a great vacation. That's awesome about the oreo treats on the plane. I bet they all loved Collin.
And I loved the Old McDonald story!
looks like you guys had a great trip! i'm jealous of your free night out & also want ot say good for you guys for doing it! It's always so nice to get some time to enoy one another once & awile without our precious responsibilities!! I love the treat & ear plug idea for the plane so cute!! Collin is growing so fast!
Post a Comment