We had the chance to spend a long weekend in Ohio, and it was the best. Here are some highlights of our time in the Buckeye State...
Hocking Hills Chalets
We spent our first night away from home here. Quaint, huh?
We had so much fun at our little cabin. Collin was super hyper when we got there, but after dinner he went right to sleep.
Collin slept in the bedroom on the first floor, so Ryan and I had the evening to sit in the private hot tub, watch cable tv, and relax.
Then we slept in the loft upstairs. It was the best!
Old Man's Cave
Friday morning we headed to do some light hiking. I am so glad we got this backpack for Collin in September. He loves it!
It was much colder than we had planned for, so we didn't stay for as long as I would have liked, but it was beautiful.



Christy & Garrett
Saturday morning we got ready for the wedding, and then we headed to my good friend Christy's house. Her baby Garrett is exactly two months older than Collin.
They are nearly the same size, but Garrett hasn't quite learned the art of sharing. Collin held his own though.
The Macedonian Wedding
Now the reason for our little vacation...
My friend Sarah married a Macedonian, and we were excited to see all the culture. They have been dating since October 1999 (our senior year), so this wedding has been in the works for TEN years!
We weren't disappointed! The wedding party alone was about 30 people.
Some of the highlights of the ceremony... gold-wrapped candies and coins thrown into the audience mid-ceremony, crowns swapped back and forth between the bride's and groom's heads, hands being tied together with ribbon then walking around the alter three times, and ALL in the Macedonian language except "in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit" for 45 minutes.
The Macedonian PARTY!
After the wedding, we went back to my friend's home and put Collin to bed. Then we headed to the Hilton for the party. I know most people would have just called this a dinner and reception, but they would be mistaken. This was a party! And definitely the best wedding party I've ever been too! A few highlights of the party...
The Hog Dance
Before dinner was served, the men left the head tables and returned with a pig: a giant cooked pig with potatoes and carrots on a platter. The Best Man (with some help!) hauled it around the room while the 500 people in attendance stuffed money inside. The rest of the Groom's Men followed behind the pig in aprons and chef's hats clanging together serving forks and carving knives. Some even clanged together wine bottles. It was quite the spectacle.
Meanwhile, the Bride's Maids danced around the floor holding hands and shaking tamborines. I'll assure you that you've never seen anything like it!
The Bread Dance
We didn't get a picture of the bread dance, but just picture something straight from 'Fiddler on the Roof.' There was a wrapped box (I assume it held a fancy loaf of bread), and someone held the box and danced with it in the center of the floor. Everyone else (and I mean everyone; Ryan and I joined too!) danced in a huge line that looped around and around the floor. It was a traditional Macedonian dance with a live band of drums.
They continued this dance for 45 minutes with the bread box, and then throughout the rest of the night. The music would begin again, and everyone would pause their conversations to join the forming circle in the center. Awesome!
The Cake Cutting
There were a few American traditions sprinkled in, like a cake-cutting, bouquet toss and THREE American slow dances.
Here I am with my two best friends from high school.
3 comments:
You look so nice! That sounds like quite the party... um, so they stuff money inside a pig? or did I misunderstand that part?
Was someone watching Collin throughout this celebration?
AND what a beautiful cabin!! You guys always go on the most fun looking mini vacations.
p.s. I personally think the black looks fantastic.
i concur. hot stuff.
Post a Comment