Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Brownies

I've been making brownies almost every Sunday evening for about 10 years. It started my 2nd year of college at BYU. We only ever ate one meal on Sunday - growing up too - so I needed a snack in the evening. As a child, we always had milkshakes and popcorn for Sunday "dinner", but when I became a "lactard" at 19, I had to nix that tradition. And since one college-aged girl can't - or shouldn't - eat an entire pan of brownies alone, my Sunday brownies quickly became a social event. In fact, my Sunday brownies are a part of "our story."

Back to the brownies: it's a tradition. After "courting" Ryan with my chocolatey gooey-ness, the college tradition stuck. It's been years, and except for some rare occasions (like the 3-months we were doing Biggest Loser), I have made brownies each and every Sunday night of our marriage.

And I got to say that I've never eaten a better brownie than my own. Prideful? Probably, but they're good - dang good.

But I'm not alone in my judgments. Here are some questions my admirers have asked over the years...

- What do you do special? I follow the directions on the back of the box.
- Which box? Whatever's on sale.
- How long do you cook them? Until the toothpick comes out clean.
- How many chocolate chips do you add? One bag, or half a bag, or whatever.
- So why are they so much better than when I make them? I guess you just need a decade of weekly practice.

And that's the honest truth. I don't know why everyone else can't figure it out. It's just a box mix. But - I'm trying to be careful not to offend my loyal readers - I've never had a better brownie: anywhere, ever.

Mmm, and we still have one row left from this week's batch. I feel sad for you.

5 comments:

LuCi said...

I'm so glad I made brownies for the missionaries tonight or I'd be having major brownie cravings (there are still some left :) have you seen "The Perfect brownie" maker from 'As seen on TV'. I saw it at the store and we got it for Christmas. It may be right up your alley :) or maybe just for the rookies :) Happy brownie making!

Natasha Ireland said...

brownies are my FAVORITE treat on the planet. what a fun tradition. ps Collin is getting so big and he is sooo handsome :)

Rachel said...

Ha ha you are so funny! I don't doubt, however, that you are the culinary specialist of box mix brownies.

Sheena said...

Love it! Glad we could be part of some of your brownie Sundays!

Bethany said...

I miss your brownies. Every time I see a box in the store I think of your brownies and am tempted to buy some. But then I know that I would eat most of them myself and I resist the temptation.