I'd be remiss if I didn't record about Blizzard 2011...
Background
Here's Collin - note the pjs, crazy hair and window marker decor - with our 4-foot back porch drift.
Background
Before Brennan was born, Ryan asked if he could attend a recruiting career fair at Wisconsin on February 2nd. I wasn't a big fan, but he doesn't ask for much so I consented. Since my mom was arriving on the 27th, I figured she'd be here to help too. When he'd done these in the past, he left at 4am and returned around midnight. I knew it would be a long day for us both, but I figured we'd survive.
As the actual event arrived, things changed. Since Brennan was born early, my mom changed her flight and came early. She'd been here for two weeks and was more than ready to return to her own life, and therefore left on Saturday the 29th. That made Monday the 31st my first day alone with two kids.
Tuesday
With the blizzard forecast for Tuesday the 1st and Wednesday the 2nd, Ryan decided to pickup his rental car a day early and leave around noon on Tuesday. He thought the storm was supposed to hit late Tuesday afternoon. Knowing I was going to be alone and locked inside for the coming days, I took the boys to McDonald's for breakfast. Brennan was fussing when we pulled in the lot, so I went through the drive-thru and sat in the backseat with Collin while we ate our hashbrowns and burritos. Good times.
The snow and wind started at about noon. Ryan sped through the house throwing clothes in a bag, and as he kissed us goodbye, I started crying as the wind howled and the fireplace whistled. I vividly remember saying, "For the millionth time, I really don't think you should go."
While Ryan drove to Wisconsin, everyone's husbands returned home early from work and enjoyed a spontaneous vacation. I fumed.
By 5pm on Tuesday, Ryan had called and he had safely arrived at his hotel. The evening news in Madison was reporting that the governor had declared a state of emergency and that driving was discouraged. The university had also canceled all evening classes and activities, but the career services were still certain the Fair would take place the next morning. I voiced my doubt.
Wednesday
When Wednesday morning arrived, and the university officially closed and canceled all classes. Career Services was forced to cancel the career fair, and Ryan and his co-worker were stranded at the hotel. Ryan had packed hurriedly and didn't throw in swim or exercise stuff, so he really had nothing to do. Poor soul. The snow and wind continued, and he was bored. The freeway between Madison and Peoria had been officially closed, so there was no way for him to get home either. I was feeling no pity.
By afternoon, Career Services announced they had rescheduled the fair for Thursday, and Ryan decided to stay. Why waste the trip by trying to come home?
Back at home, I was furious. Collin was restless, the snow was piling up, and I was going crazy trying to think of things to keep everyone happy. After my pleading, Ryan called our neighbor with a snowblower and let him know he was gone. He came over and spent at least an hour working on our driveway.
By noon, after 24 hours of storm, we'd accumulated 15 inches of snow with drifts up to three feet. They had predicted ice too, but thankfully it missed us. No one was going anywhere.
Back in Madison, Ryan tackled the local streets and went to an old friends' house for chatting and dinner. Rough huh?
Meanwhile at home, a neighbor had brought us dinner. She had a baby in December, but ventured down the street, walking in a lone set of tire tracks, to deliver a casserole and chocolate chip cookies. The wife of the snowblower owner came over and played blocks with Collin while I showered. Then she held Brennan so I could eat dinner. She ended up staying for THREE hours. I couldn't have special-ordered better neighbors.
Thursday
In Madison, the career fair started at 11am but went slow. It picked up around 4pm, but Ryan decided to take off to try to get home. The freeway was now open, and he was able to travel at normal speeds for most of the trip. Despite almost running out of gas, he made it home at 7pm.
Back here, first thing in the morning I called the girl across the street - who has two girls exactly 6 months older than my two boys - who came over and played. The snow plow finally made it to our street at 10am, and all the husbands exited the neighborhood for work at once. Their two-day vacation had come to an end.
By dinnertime, I was done parenting. As soon as we were done eating, I started the bedtime routine with a shrieking Brennan on one knee and a whiny Collin on the other. So much for a peaceful story time. As I left Collin's room, I heard the door bell. It was one of the neighbors with "new" toys for Collin to play with. Not 30 seconds later, I heard the garage door, and Ryan was home!
Conclusion
Our neighbors are saints. I never could have survived without their help. It was my second, third and fourth days alone with two kids, and I did them as a single mother. I'd say I feel like I can tackle just about anything now!
And if you are wondering, Ryan did admit I was right - He never should have gone. He tried to redeem himself by building this sweet fort for Collin. 
2 comments:
I can totally imagine you fuming. I'm glad he made it back home safe, and look at that awesome snow tunnel he made!
It's so nice to have great neighbors, isn't it?
HOLY COW! I'm glad you survived!! My husband has to leave for a business trip in March and I'm already dreading it, and I have only 1 kid and no chance of blizzards!
I would have been furious too! I can totally understand how you were feeling (well, as much as a person with 1 kid can understand a mother with 2 - one of which is a newborn!)
You handled things well, though, and it made for a very interesting breakfast read, if that's any comfort. :) And hooray for great neighbors!!
Post a Comment