Saturday, August 24, 2013

Count Your Many Blessings

I have been mentally composing a blog post for two weeks now that was a numerical accounting of all the things that have been annoying this pregnancy (hives, food poisoning, constipation, varicose veins, low iron, herniated belly button, sprained ankle, excessive weight gain). I planned to post it this week.

Then it was high council Sunday. To be honest, it isn't usually my favorite week of sacrament meeting. But this month's topic was about obtaining peace. He spoke about how he is a worrier and oftentimes a pessimist. His words struck a cord with me. Then he shared the following quote from President Hinckley.

"Stop seeking out the storms, and enjoy more fully the sunlight."

Peace. Peace comes into our lives as we count our many blessings, not as we dwell on the passing trials. Worry, doubt and frustration enter only as we invite them by counting up all our woes.

I am so grateful for the gospel. I am grateful for peace. I am grateful to be a mother, even and especially to my three (soon enough, right?) boys. I love my husband more than words can express. Through the blessings of the priesthood, my family will be together forever... long after death could separate us. I am blessed beyond my wildest dreams with the sunlight of Christ.

Here's to 32 weeks!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Don't you love it when a speaker speaks right to you? Sounds like a wonderful reminder-- and who better to remind than the world's greatest optimist- president hinckley? I hope that helped lift a bit the burden of all you've endured this pregnancy. Once you're holding Baby in your arms it'll make it all worth it, right? We are blessed to even get to make babies and grow them and birth them normally. You are a strong woman!! Here's to a healthy and happy last couple of months for you! xoxo

Amy Rose said...

Those are the best Sundays. But hey, you have a hernia too? I'm crying for you over here. That is my single biggest fear. I don't think I could handle the pain again, and the surgery again. It terrifies me at night sometimes, I touch my belly button a million times a day just to check. I hope yours isn't too much of a problem for you. 32 weeks though, you're getting so close! We find out if it is girl or boy in about four weeks, so I'm looking forward to that. Sorry this comment was all about me... I think you are awesome!