Thursday, October 17, 2019

Beach Trip!

When you live in a place that doesn't have fall (aka temps under 90) until November, you can take a trip to the beach for Columbus Day in October. And that's just what we did!

At the end of my parents' trip to see San Antonio, we headed to Port Aransas (about 3 hrs away) on Sunday morning. It was a little rainy and windy when we got there, but we headed to the beach anyway. The kids collected seashells, tried to race the waves, and we flew Ryan's stunt kite.

After checking into our condo, we had dinner and then went for a walk along the beach. That's my dream kinda evening! We continued our seashell hunt, and the kids got their jammies wet (oops).


Monday was our full-day beach day. Ryan, Collin & I went for a run along the beach in the morning, which sounds far more ideal than it actually was. Ryan is so much faster and more conditioned than me, that he wasn't even a speck in the distance when I turned around after a mile. Collin got to the one-mile turn-around about a 1/4 of a mile before me, and was back eating breakfast before I returned, but nonetheless I have a goal to make us a family who runs together, so I'll keep working at it.

 After we all got back, we headed down to the beach. The water was insanely warm (I hear this is a Gulf thing - always much warmer than the Atlantic and definitely the Pacific). We body-surfed and rode waves. Ryan flew his drone.




We collected still more seashells and built a sandcastle for the books. It even lasted until the next morning! 




After lunch and naps, we headed to the pool where the water was unfortunately icy cold. We grilled hamburgers and following the Davis' (my sister's husband's family) tradition we learned last Christmas and had salt-water corn-on-the-cob. No other way to eat on the beach now! Delish. 



After another walk down the beach at sunset, we had ice cream for a treat and headed to bed.

Tuesday morning Ryan took the kids down to the beach while my parents and I started the cleanup and packup chores. I hate how this eats into your time away so much. They rinsed their sand off in the pool, and we headed to Corpus Christi.

We stumbled upon a great little outdoor seafood restaurant right on the bay. After walking around the USS Lexington and the fishing pier (lots of hermit crabs) for a bit, the kids tried calamari for the first time and had fried shrimp.





It was a great little getaway, and I'm looking forward to doing it again and again!

No comments: