Monday, October 24, 2022

Ethan is NINE!

Happy 9th birthday, Ethan! I told him I was okay with him turning 9, but he absolutely couldn't ever turn 10. Then he said, "I don't think it works that way, Mom." Oh, sweet boy, if only moms could always get their way. 

The weekend of his birthday he got to bring home his class's pet stuffed hippo, Timothy. Timothy went everywhere all weekend, and it was actually really fun. 


Saturday started with Ethan's soccer game. He stills loves playing soccer goalie, but his real talent is for defense. That boy is a reliable massive kick back to the other end of the field, just like his Mom was! I'm so happy he is still enjoying it. He has a great group of boys he's been on the same team with for a long time now, and it's fun to see him work hard. 


After soccer, he got changed and cleaned up and headed to his birthday activity. This year, Ethan wanted to take his friend Logan to Andretti's. Between a week-long trip to Germany and a week-long trip to Detroit, Ryan was home for the weekend to do the big event.

At Andretti, they did two rounds of laser tag and played a bunch of arcade games. 


Afterwards, Ryan took them out to dinner at Red Robin, where they got burgers, fries, and milkshakes. 

Then Logan came back to our house to put together the Iron Man Lego set that Logan had gotten him. 

His actual birthday was on Sunday. We were switched to a new ward last Sunday, so no one knew it was his birthday, but he told his teacher, and they sang to him anyway. I'm proud of him for taking the initiative. 


After church, he asked for cheeseburgers for his special meal. His present was an Alexa alarm clock, because all the other kids already had one, and he was feeling left out. I got him this sprinkle cake at HEB, and we had Cookies Over Texas ice cream, because it isn't a birthday in our fam without it now.


Happy birthday, E! We love you!!

Ethan is still our happiest child, but this last year he has decided he will no longer be the "push-over" child. He used to let his sister and brothers get just about anything they wanted in the name of peace, but he's all done with that. He's more than willingly to put up an argument about just about everything. 

He is also insanely lazy, and if lying will get him out of having to do something - even for a moment - it's worth the consequence when he gets caught. So frustrating! 

In addition to playing soccer, he is also really enjoying pickleball. A man from church has started coaching kids after soccer practice, and he and Collin and Brennan are learning a lot. 

He loves swimming, doing crazy tricks with Dad on the jet ski, tubing, and knee boarding. I'd like to get him on a swim team with Katelyn next summer. He will still try just about any new thing - roller coasters, cliff jumps, water slides, etc. I still have to keep quite a good eye on him, or he's liable to go do something really dumb.

He still loves Minecraft, YouTube, and stuffed animals. He'll still cuddle with me when I ask to, which I love. He's our best sit-still-and-hug kid, by far. He loves Legos and Marvel too. He's getting better at Mario Cart, and he and Brennan enjoy Super Smash Bros. 

He is in Gifted & Talented at school, and he is on-grade level for reading, which is a huge relief after the last couple years. He still has to work at it - unlike math, which comes so easily. 

He and Kate have joined the Kindness Club at school, which meets once per month to do service. I'm proud of them both for reaching outside themselves to give to others. I'm volunteering as a parent too, so it's fun to do it together. 

And that's our buddy Ethan. Happy bday, little one! 

No comments: