Saturday, December 6, 2025

giftED in Grapevine

Last summer I learned I wouldn't be able to attend the Texas Association for Gifted Educators Conference because it was being held in Grapevine (north of Dallas) rather than San Antonio like last year. My district wasn't willing to foot the bill. I felt like I learned so much last year, so I was super sad.

 

Anyway, sometime in August, the organization who hosts the conference said that they were offering scholarships. I told Ryan about it jokingly, mostly because I never win anything.  He asked what I had to lose, so I went ahead and quickly answered the Google form questions without putting much effort in. Anyway, long story short, I won the scholarship - $1300! The Conference was held at the Gaylord Texan, so the first $900 went to accomodations. The conference ticket was $300, so that left me with $100 for food and gas. Haha. We were only out a little though! 





I had the best time! I met peers from all over the state. The Gaylord was also decorated beautifully for Christmas. 

I had so much fun being on my own - five hours of my audiobook in the car, typing my notes in the king-size bed each evening, napping during the lunch break in my room, and running on the treadmill in the hotel gym each evening. 

All in all, it was a great experience. Now I have to figure out who/how to fund going to next year's in Houston! 

In January, I presented my learning to my fellow elementary GATE teachers here in my District, and I also presented a faculty meeting to my campus about utilizing AI to write fast finisher projects to achieve depth for their high achievers. While I still have zero interest in "moving up" to greater leadership roles, I sure do love learning! 

No comments: