I fed Collin at 12:30 today, and we headed to a friend's house and then on to WalMart for our weekly grocery trip. I woke up with a sore throat, so I wasn't feeling top-notch, but today was the only day left this week that we didn't have lots of other activities planned, and I just had to get it done.
Collin slept through most of the experience, but near the end he awoke happily. It was about 2:15, and I knew I was pushing my luck. Three (yes, 3!) people stopped and commented on his big, beautiful blue eyes, and I was feeling on top of the world. One of them even wanted to know where to find one to take home, but I was in a good mood and didn't offer mine for the taking. I was surprised he didn't smell that he had just filled his diaper.
At the checkout (3 people in front of us!), Collin started getting fussy, but I figured if I could get him into the car and get it moving towards home, he'd quiet down. I hurried out to the car, got him clicked in, and quickly loaded all the groceries into the trunk.
No sooner had I put the car in reverse, Collin started screaming. I dug around backwards, found his binkie, and stuck it in, but over and over again he kicked it out with his tongue and screamed and screamed. I sang Primary songs and talked him through what we'd do when we got home ("first, we'll unload Mommy and Daddy's food, then I'll change your dipe and give you your num-nums - his Mylicon - and then it's... EATING time.") This dialogue, and my constant chatter, usually quiets him down... but not this time.
Frazzled, I sped home and into the garage. I grabbed my purse and got his carseat. As soon as I picked it up, he got quiet, but when I put him down inside, the SCREAM began again. I thought, "Guess we'll be getting the groceries out one-handed today." I unstrapped him and put him over my shoulder and headed back to the garage.
TWO BELCHES! Yes, huge ones, and it was at least 2 hours past his last feeding. Feeling guilty for not knowing he just needed to burp, I opened the back hatch and...
But did I cry?
No, I laughed. Must have been a blessing to see the humor in my spilled milk.
5 comments:
Oh! I'm glad you could laugh over that! I'm not sure I would have... (He does have gorgeous eyes!)
Good for you. We all need to laugh more! Sorry your trip got a little tricky at the end. You sound like me in the car: singing, talking through things and looking for the pacifier while stopped at traffic lights. I think I would have been sad that the milk dropped, because I would have had to go pick up another one. We go through milk so fast at the Dance residence. I LOVE milk! I could drink it all the time when I'm thirsty. I do get my fill for water as well though.
That is the worst... I didn't have a screaming baby on my hip, but I had a similar situation. The bagger at the store didn't double bag... put a small rip in the bag, so when I was carrying in everything from the car (all at once, of course), I set it all down on the table. Grabbed the bag with the milk in it, the handle and side ripped... BOOM, all over the kitchen floor. It all pooled in one corner... and as I ran downstairs to get a towel... noticed it was dripping through the ceiling!! Gross...
Augh! You know, as frustrating as the crying is, isn't it the greatest thing in the world when that burp comes out and suddenly all is right with the world? Ahh.
I did that once with my milk, but in my house. I dropped it as I went to put it in my fridge & it went all over my kitchen floor! I'm pretty sure I didn't laugh & I didn't have a screaming baby. good for you for staying positive! Collin does have pretty blue eyes!!
Post a Comment