I'm realizing that I have spoken very little about this pregnancy. In fact, I can't believe that I am already 30 weeks! In just ten more weeks, my life will change in ways I can't begin to imagine (mostly for the good, I hope). In an effort to capture some of my thoughts this past while, here are some of my thoughts about Pregnancy #2...
Time
The time seems to be just flying by. I felt like I was pregnant with Collin forever, and we had plenty of time to take belly pictures (I've taken exactly two this pregnancy), buy baby things, decorate and organize. All we've done this pregnancy is try to get Collin situated in a new room (expect a post soon about this project).
I have to say I already feel bad for having shafted this 2nd, and he's not even here yet! He hasn't gotten a single piece of clothing yet that his brother won't have already worn. Sad huh? He also isn't getting any new bedding or newly-painted walls. I am hoping to work on some name decor for the nursery, so I guess that will be at least one thing just for him.
Poor kid - he's already living in his brother's shadow.
Two
I can't believe how soon it will be until I have two children. Collin is in for one rude awakening, the poor little guy. He is definitely accustomed to all of Mom's undivided attention. I have still never seen him play independently or with other children. He only plays with other adults - in nursery, at playgroup, at home. I have no idea what is going to happen when I nurse and nurse and nurse this new little one. I sure hope he doesn't get sick of the Elmo movies!
Belly
My body is growing much faster this time. In some ways, I'm grateful. When I moan and groan getting up and down, people can tell why. When I choose to walk slow, no one wonders what is up with that lady. When I huff and puff carrying my two-year old, it is clear that my disappearing hips are of no assistance. Unlike my first pregnancy, people have been asking what I am having and when I am due for months. When I go to the doctor's, I no longer dread the tape measure. On the other hand, this thing (aka my belly) is heavy, really heavy. My back aches, my hips hurt, and I have to pee all the time. My pants won't stay up, and my shirts won't stay down. Yes, this big belly is really causing some trouble, and I have to haul it around for many more weeks to come. Even zipping my coat today was a challenge, and last time around I wore it to the hospital when I delivered! I guess it really did remember how to stretch.
Hair
Even though I have not had the opportunity to partake of the blessings of a luscious head of hair (pregnancy doesn't seem to do that for me), I am greatly enjoying my hairless legs and armpits. That's right: It has all but completely stopped growing! If only I was able to enjoy this convenience in the summer months it would be all that much sweeter. No more shaving for me! Yippee!
Nausea
The first 20 weeks for me in both pregnancies result in loud, obnoxious wretching, which then results in 2-3 pukings per day. And then by some miracle, I hit the 20-week mark and... Ta-Da: I'm cured! Certain foods that sound delicious one day cause puking at the thought the next. Making a grocery list and going to the grocery store makes me throw up too; all those different tastes, textures and pictures just do me in. Luckily, my sweet husband has taken over grocery shopping for me for both my pregnancies for those first awful months.
On the other hand, I must say I am grateful to only be sick for half of each pregnancy, but I'm also hoping that when I have a girl (in the future?) I'm sick like a "normal" person for only the first trimester.
Lactose Intolerance
When I was unknowingly-pregnant with Collin, one of the reasons we took a pregnancy test was because my lactose intolerance was suddenly cured. My entire pregnancy and the whole time I was nursing (2 weeks before I got pregnant with this one!), I was tolerant of milk, creamy soups, ice cream, and all cheeses. Yum. I figured this blessing would continue this pregnancy.
But back in July and August, I started experiencing chronic diarrhea and stomach cramping. The only cure was to lie down on my left side and wait it out. It was excruciating. I decided to give up my two bowls of cereal each morning for breakfast just to see what would happen, and... the symptoms went away! Apparently, my intolerance had suddenly and unexpectedly returned.
Unfortunately, it seems to be more sensitive than ever, and I can't eat many milk-based products (hot chocolate) I used to be able to tolerate. I'm curious to see if my intolerance is something the baby will inherit (heaven forbid) and if I will again be tolerate after delivery and while nursing. It seems to be quite the mystery.
Heart Burn
Just like my first pregnancy, I get heartburn about every evening. Luckily, a calcium tablet is usually enough to calm it down, especially if I avoid tomato sauces and chocolate. I drink only water, and I try not to eat after dinnertime, both of which help. The midwife recommended I take two calcium per day anyway since I intend to nurse and currently have limited calcium intake (see previous section). I don't remember having this much trouble with it this early last time, so I'm hoping my death cough doesn't return.
Movement
I forgot how fun, and sometimes painful, all the kicking and squirming of a baby inside is. I love seeing my tummy jump and squirm, though the sharp jabs above my hips and into my rib cage definitely hurt. I feel such a connection to my little boy when I feel him "perk up" after meals or sugary-treats (my pregnancy weakness this time around is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups). I always wonder, Was that a foot? A hand? What is he doing in there? He always gets particularly active when I read to Collin before nap time and bedtime. Maybe he doesn't like his brother sitting on him to get closer to Mom.
Weight
I started this pregnancy at a lower weight than with my first pregnancy, but I am already at my delivery-weight of #1. The weight seems to be coming on faster, and I seem to lack any ability to control it (hm, could be the PB cups...). Luckily, Ryan bought me a new Nordic Track elliptical (classfieds for $100!) that I can't wait to get to work on when my body heals up around the beginning of March. I also hope to take a yoga class and maybe (just maybe) start running again. I just want to get in my little jeans again! I hope that's enough motivation to find the time to balance it all.
Well, I guess that sums up some of my thoughts about being pregnant this time around. I know I have neglected my blog tremendously the last several months. I just don't seem to have any creative juices anymore. Maybe they'll return? I feel like I'm just in survival-mode, if you know what I mean. Alright, 10 weeks to go...
4 comments:
Well I for one do love it when you update your blog, can you just picture me, here in Nebraska, sitting anxiously by my computer with nothing to do but hope for an update?
Ha, how sad that that is almost true. But I do know what you mean by survival mode.
I am so excited for pictures when this new little guy does finally arrive in a couple weeks, Collin may be in for a rude awakening but he's going to be such a good big brother, I know it.
You are going to do great with two! When Abby was born I was feeling serious guilt about the amount of Elmo movies that Carson was watching. We usually have pretty set TV limits and I felt so bad just sitting on the couch with the two of them pushing play when it had just finished. I remember telling my mom about it and her response was, "Don't worry about it. It's not what you normally do and if Carson watches more TV the first few months of Abby's life he will be fine. You will be back to going outside and doing all your normal things soon enough." For some reason that really helped me and sure enough I adjusted we did get back to a new normal (still trying to find that new normal with three. We are good as long as we stay home but going out...that's a whole other story)
Anyways, don't worry if he watches too much Elmo in the beginning. And try not to worry about the tornado of a mess that comes while you nurse. Just clean it up at nap time :)
Do you know why your lactose intolerance went away during pregnancy/nursing? I usually get pretty frequent stomach aches and with all three pregnancies they have almost disappeared.
You will get back to pre-pregnancy weight. It might take a little longer, but you'll get there. Yay for the craigslist find!
Okay, so this is the longest comment I've ever posted on anyone's blog. I should have just e-mailed you :)
Keep updating. I love to read how you and your little family are doing!
I felt like Daniel got the shaft with the pregnancy, so I've tried to make sure that (even if I don't blog about it) I take lots of pictures of him. It's hard, but I'm sure you'll be great. I hope that you can keep eating ice-cream and all those other goodies when you're breastfeeding!!!
I can't believe it's right around the corner. Where did the time go?? Craziness. Also, so sorry about the return of the lactose-intolerance. That is a tragedy indeed. I guess a new baby is worth it. I guess. ;)
Can't wait to see the new little Mr.
Post a Comment