Sunday, February 27, 2011

My "New" Elliptical

Any of you who know Ryan and me or who have followed our blog for a while know what cheap-skates we are. I prefer to say we are industrious and frugal, but you would probably just call us cheap-skates.

Last June Ryan saw an elliptical listed on the Caterpillar classifieds for $100. The batteries were dead on the control panel and the resistance wasn't working quite right, but it was in great shape. (The cheapest new models are currently being sold for $500.) We jumped at the opportunity. I have a particular affection for ellipticals, since I lost a miraculous amount of weight after I had Collin using an old, junky one we bought for $50. It only had manual resistance adjustments and was super noisy. I leaped at the chance to use one like I had always coveted at hotels.

Unfortunately last June when we purchased it, I was ridiculously pukey and sick with this pregnancy, and I didn't touch the thing. Of course, we knew I wouldn't use it until after I had Brennan, so we put in the basement in the "exercise room" and let it collect dust.

Fast forward six months...
In January, shortly after I had Brennan, Ryan decided to try it out one morning he didn't feel like using the treadmill or bike trainer. He changed out the batteries and was devastated to discover that the resistance didn't start working with the new batteries too. He looked online for the cost of a new circuit board - $220. Yep, our $100 purchase just got pricey.

We talked it over and decided that if Ryan couldn't find a way to fix it for free, then I would just find a resistance I preferred, and Ryan would manually set it for me permanently. So much for the fancy new elliptical...

(Are you feeling an "I Love My Engineer" post in the works?)

So Ryan took apart the circuit board, and everything seemed to look good to him. There was one small spot of rust on one small part, but everything else looked great. Doubtfully, he ordered the part ($1.03 plus $9 shipping = $10.03 total) online, and it arrived on Thursday.

A little bit of soldering and a whole lot of faith and... Yep, you guessed it: ten bucks and my elliptical is as good as new. Adjustable resistance at the touch of a button!

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for: I love my engineer! Thanks, Babe.

Now I just need my doctor clearance... My skinny jeans are calling.

3 comments:

Mrs. Mike said...

Aw, I love my engineer, too! Many times he has fixed something I would never have thought to even attempt to fix.

Melissa said...

Yay! Sounds like you guys have quite the work out room in your basement.

I just read your last post also, hang in there Linds! It does get better! I definitely have had times where I feel like my mind is going to mush and that can be frustrating. Reading and writing help me feel like I'm maintaining at least some of my non mommy brain functions. Also, as Carson's gotten older, we are able to do activities that do require thinking beyond changing diapers and shapes which is nice.

It sounds like you have the spiritual part figured out. I have had to learn that lesson time and time again also.

As far as your body, just be patient. It can be frustrating, but it comes. I think it just takes a while to have your body heal and it will. And once Brennan starts sleeping better and you can exercise again, you will feel start to feel better. It has just been the past month or so that I have started to feel good about my body again and Mason is seven months old. That first few months is really hard when you are so tired and not feeling well.

Right now you are just in survival mode. Just keep doing your best and taking care of those two beautiful boys and things will get better and easier! You are doing such a good job. I'm thinking of you!!

Amy Rose said...

Nice work Ryan! I love my food scientist, don't get me wrong, but there have been many many times when I have wished for an in-house engineer/mechanically minded/handy man type man.