RYAN
Scouting
Ryan's calling in young men's is pretty time-consuming. When he was called a year ago, I was so excited for him. Now I just miss all the time we used to get to see him. He has a meeting before, after or both every Sunday. He is also gone most of the night every Wednesday. Once per month he is gone Friday night and Saturday morning for a campout. He loves working with the boys and the other men he serves with. He is really enjoying all his new camping gear he got for Christmas too.
Computer
Ryan inherited his dad's old desktop computer (Thanks Papa!) so he's been working on loading Windows 7 on it and getting our new modem working, which is easier said than done. Something seems to be wrong with Windows 7 and the ethernet card, and we still (it's been a month) don't have internet on the desktop. I'm just glad he didn't load the new operating system on the laptop at the same time - I'd be internet-less!
Trees
His biggest project lately has been working in the tree-line. We work in it each Spring, but this year we may have bitten off more than he can chew. I'm not much help because of the kids, so Ryan's been flying solo a lot out there. This year we are clearing out a 20-foot length for a new swingset, and also cleaning out some dead and crooked trees. It has been very time-consuming. Luckily, we've had some good friends come over to help (Thanks Kendall!) and even the elders last Saturday. One day Collin will have a new swingset to enjoy. Until then, it's just a big, muddy mess.
Exercising
Ryan is really devoted to his exercise. He has maintained his current weight since our Biggest Loser Contest two years ago! He wakes up on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4:45am to go running with a friend. The other days of the week he is usually biking on his trainer in the basement by 5:30am. The Cadbury MiniEggs have forced him to step it up a notch, but I am still so proud of him.
Basement
Ryan also is working on our basement. He built us some new shelving, tore out some walls, and obtained a permit to start putting up new walls and doing electrical. Our goal is to have a finished basement (play room/tv room, bedroom, and exercise room) by the time the cold sets in next winter... I just have my fingers crossed.
LINDSEY
Sounds like I just sit around keeping my fingers crossed, eh? Unfortunately, that is the way I feel a lot of the time too. But really, my fingers are staying quite busy...
Mommy-ing
... changing TONS of diapers, feeding TONS of mouths, clothing SUPER wiggly bodies, singing TONS of songs, reading TONS of stories, rocking TONS of bodies to sleep. That's right - I am definitely the mother of two now.
Driving
I've also been driving the boys to and from St Louis where we've been visiting my parents in order to get out of the house and give Ryan more time for his List. In March, we went to visit while my sister was in town, and in April we visited while my brother was in town. In June, Ryan has a week-long business trip, so I'll head back then too.
Exercising
When Brennan is up at 6am, I feed him and then exercise from 6:30-7am while Ryan is home and getting ready for work. When Brennan sleeps in or if it has been a bad night, I go down after the boys are in bed from 8:15-8:45pm. My official goal is 30 minutes at least 3 times per week, but I've been doing this for a month now and have lost ZERO pounds, so I think I need to modify my goal some. (On the other hand, it has been Reese's-Peanut-Butter-Egg Season, so maybe I'll start to drop some pounds now that they've exited the grocery store.) After I had Collin, I exercised 6 days per week, so I may need to get back into that groove in order to get the results I want.
I am actually looking for advice on a good yoga DVD to buy. I need a beginners one for the flexibly-challenged. Any ideas? I think it would be nice to use my elliptical and treadmill in the mornings and do the yoga in the evenings before bed. Recommendations?
Cleaning
A good friend mentioned shortly before Brennan was born how disgusting it was that I never cleaned my house (Thanks Jacqie!) unless we were having company, so I have implemented a stay-at-home-and-clean day to each week. Before kids, Ryan and I cleaned on Saturday mornings together, but I figure as a stay-at-home mom, I need to work it into my week and keep our Saturdays free.
Anyway, I hate this new week-day cleaning event. Collin is always on his worst behavior (because his mom is ignoring him) resulting in numerous timeouts. I've tried a few thigns to help him be happy - I have given him his own water spray bottle and a rag, but he only lasts about 15 minutes. He also has his own broom. Lately, I have pretty much been turning on PBS all morning, but he gets bored with that after an hour too. Any ideas on how to make cleaning day fun for Collin and therefore me?
COLLIN
Collin is getting super fun... that is, when it's not cleaning day. He loves his pockets, and I'm always finding curious treasures in the washing machine and dryer: rocks, stickers, tissues, matchbox cars, mulch, sticks. He loves to put a mixture of things - blankies, stuffed animals, puzzle pieces, remote controls, cars, wood shapes - in a bowl and stir them with a spoon. He calls it "soup." He also likes to find bags and boxes and collect things. He says he's "packing for Grandma's." He is always flipping things over, getting his tool box, and "dixing it." My favorite new thing he's doing is telling "jokes." For instance, last night he told me that when Daddy got home from work they were going to play toys together after "dada goes potty." Then he said, "Dada need to change his diaper." I must have looked confused, so he helped me out by then saying, "Momma, Collin is funny." Yep, that's my little jokester.
BRENNAN
I've figured out the crying, at least mostly. Try not to judge me, but I am just stupid. So overnight, Brennan started to care about life. He now needs to be able to see what is going on, watch the show Collin is watching, sit with us at meal time and play with toys. I know it sounds silly, but he really did go to bed one night not caring in the least about anyone or anything, and the next day he woke up constantly crying. I thought it was colic, but come to find out: He just wanted some human interaction! Yep, he's back to his happy self most of the time. The one place he is still quite miserable is in his carseat (imagine those long drives to St Louis...). We changed the angle a bit and that has helped, but I avoid the car when he's tired if possible.
CONCLUSION
So in case you've thought we've been sitting around bored these last few months, you can see we've all been quite busy doing our own things. Hope you are all busy and happy too!
7 comments:
I face the same problems with Christian any time I clean. I finally decided to just reserve special toys for when I clean. I try to rotate the "special" toy so it's not always the same (like an electronic microphone or a DVD) but he only gets to play with it when I clean. It doesn't work perfectly, but sometimes he gets distracted enough that I can squeeze in a half hour.
Ok, I'm so mad. I left this huge comment just now-- amidst Eleanor getting up from her nap.. and it didn't work... ARG.
Maybe another time.
Curses charter internet!!! CURSES.
I have been trying to get Ben more involved in cleaning. I'm not much of a cleaner, either :) This is my 'goal' (that sometimes happens) when the house gets really messy b'c i've been slacking we clean. Then every night I try to straighten each room for like 5 mins. before I go to bed.
Another thing I have tried, instead of having one MAJOR cleaning day, try to do one "thing" a day. Each morning do a different room/thing. Like Mondays-Floors (vacuuming/sweeping) Tuesdays-Bathrooms, Wed-Laundry, Thurs--Kitchen. and then just straighten for a few mins. each night.
At night time, after we get our jammies on, if Ben helps me pick up his toys then I'll let him watch one Diego/Dora show. That usaully motivates him. Today I taught him how to dust and vacuum (we actually have a littler vacuum cleaner that he is able to push around).
Good Job with the exercising by the way. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, but having a hard time. I've been trying to do Jillian's 30 day shred. I obviously haven't been able to do it for 30days straight (or even 4) :D Let me know if you find a good yoga DVD!
I missed you so much today. A friend of mine gave me a double stroller so the girls and I have been taking walks around the neighborhood in the morning. (We even went in the rain on Monday because I was determined to make this something we do, and Monday was our first day, and then it was raining, but I said "I can't wimp out on our first day"... so off we went. The girls stayed dry. Me, not so much.
Anyway, today it was nice and I really missed walking with you. Any chance at all Nebraska could be in your future? It's really really nice here. (I'm only sort of lying.)
Cleaning can be pretty frustrating, but I will tell you this: it gets better as they get older, and see that there are just some times when mommy can't play with them. They eventually do learn to play by themselves (for a little while, sometimes) and that helps. But sometimes the games they decide to play are definitely not mommy approved, and so that can be frustrating.
I would say that trying to clean while they are awake is a lesson in patience, perseverance, creativity, and many other character building things - but you can do it.
I usually just tell Hallie and Hanna that mommy has to do something and can't play with them, and then when I am done with that immediate task I do one short thing with them, read one story, or sing one song, do one dance, and then I go on to the next thing, and repeat. So they are getting short bursts of my attention.
You'll find something that works for you, and even if you never do someday they will grow up anyway and you can make them work, and they won't care as much about having your attention.
Good luck!
Cleaning: take advantage of nap time that day, and the most of the first 15 min of him "helping" or tv or movie time. Admittedly tv & movies are on for my cleaning day more than others. Make it a game, ie when you vaccum A & B like to not touch the floor...then if I find a toy left behind they get to save it - and they LOVE wrapping the cord up and helping change outlets when I need it. And know this: I don't always get it all done in one day - but I don't let myself get worked up over it and if I can, I let it go until the next cleaning day! Cleaning day just means it's the main goal(s) for the day. =)
OK, so I'm finally leaving a comment after we chatted. :) I just did my yoga video- I love it for me. Especially with my back problems and being so tight- it helps a lot with flexibility in the legs and it can work your core if you do it right. But of course you'll have to see what your body will like. It makes me feel SO much better and the moves are ones I have done with my various physical therapists and a pilates class I took, so I do think this guys legit.
It's called "Yoga Class" by Gary Bromley. There's a little subtitle "Flexibility, Fitness, Relaxation" and it's by Hinckler Books. I hope you can at last check it out of the library or you can go to hincklerbooks.com if you really trust me on this one, and see how much it costs. I have no idea... Dave's sister gave it to me.
Have a fabulous week! Miss you.
I have no advice, sorry. I am just glad to hear how you're all doing and I think you guys are doing awesome! And, my goal is to work out 3 times a week. I am doing it, but I will admit my results aren't what I'd like them to be either. Maybe I do need to step it up, too!
Post a Comment