Monday night I didn't get much rest. After not being able to get comfortable and fall asleep, I had consistent non-painful - but still totally annoying - contractions for more than an hour. I got up and walked around the dark house for another half hour, and even got all dressed to go to the hospital. Anyway, in the end, I fell asleep and rested only about 2 hours before the boys were up and about. We didn't have a busy schedule for the morning, so I stayed in bed, even after Ryan left for work. I guess he asked them to please play quietly so Mom could get some extra rest, because they were great.
At 8:30, Collin came in to check on me. I told him I was feeling sore and tired, but that I would get up soon. I explained that we didn't have anything scheduled for the morning, but that I would get up and play with them before taking him to school in the afternoon. He burst into tears.
"I'm not going to school today! I am scared about the baby coming while I am gone."
"I don't want him to hurt you."
"What if he comes before you get to the right place?"
He was totally freaking out. Poor little guy.
I always forget how much your children really are in tune with the conversations they hear. He's heard our worries about not making it to the hospital in time, and he's heard many moms (including myself) talk about the pain associated with labor. I also had been preparing him for the possibility that the baby came during school one day and that his car-pool would be dropping him at a friend's home. I believe kids adjust better with more information instead of less. This time I think I accidentally turned him into a nervous wreck... kinda like his mom.
So I forced my old, fat, tired body out of bed and down to the toy room, where we played pretend trick-or-treat and had a picnic lunch. And he gladly went to school, knowing his mom was just fine.
Anyway, Nana is here now, and all the shuffling I had prepared him for is no longer needed. Thanks for coming, Nana! Now we just need to get the little one here. Here's to a smooth adjustment for everyone, especially our compassionate oldest child.
No comments:
Post a Comment