Why? My family has a history of insomnia, with its onset usually in the twenties. My mom and sister both suffer from similar ailments. I figured it was just my time for the dreaded 3-5am wakings. I decided that when I was done having children and nursing, then I would maybe think about taking a sleeping pill. But until then, I would just suffer through the nights... and then the following days.
Since about the age of twenty-two, I would have periodic insomnia. Ryan deduced its cause as a symptom of anxiety. I'd always be awake the night before a new school year, the nights before the school play, the night before parent-teacher conferences, etc. He read online, in my behalf (Love you, Babe!), that keeping a notepad by your bedside would help you record that "one more thing" on your to-do list, and then you'd be able to fall back asleep. It worked wonders for me, until three years ago.
About three years ago I started waking during the night and not being able to fall back asleep for not just a week in a row, but for entire months. I could never think of anything to record on my notepad, because I wasn't in need of adding something to my never-ending list. By this time, I was finishing my teaching and career, and my life was changing. Unfortunately, my body was not resting. Instead of getting that blessed sleep, I just stared into the dark night.
Then two weeks ago my friend came to visit. I was exhausted each night (she has a two-year-old and Collin's 15 months), and suddenly: I started sleeping again! I told Ryan that I must not be getting enough interaction and activity each day, and Jenn's visit had cured me. I knew it'd only be temporary, so I relished the week I slept each night all night.
Then it happened last week again. I was thrilled! ...and confused. Why was I suddenly able to sleep through the night again? What had been wrong for so long, and what was now right?
Here's my self-diagnosis:
Since I have a weak stomach, I began taking a prenatal vitamin before bed so that I wouldn't feel nauseous all day from the folic acid. This was about three years ago. We were trying to conceive, and I knew I needed the extra boost to my diet. At this time, we lived in an apartment with radiant baseboard heating which popped and clicked - imagine a band warming up for their big stage performance! - each time it had to come on. It woke Ryan and me each time it did its horrible job of heating our little apartment. Ryan was always able to fall back asleep, but I'd lay there all night... in pure frustration. I blamed everything of the heat, but then we moved to our beautiful home, and I was still waking.
The next year I got pregnant, and every woman knows the night-wakings associated with pregnancy: peeing, turning over, shifting pillows, rearranging blankets... It is quite and ordeal, and I blamed my wakefulness on all the discomforts of hauling my belly around.
This past year of chronic insomnia was Collin's baby year. With all the night feedings and waking to check if he was breathing (I was such a spaz), I was usually up for several hours after each unknown waking.
Then came last week. Not only was I exhausted each night after chasing Lane and Collin around (as well as constant chatting with Jenn!), but I was also too lazy to fill my water cup and take my prenatal before going to sleep. Then last week I was out of my good habits and didn't take my prenatal all week either.
Ta-da! Sleep!
I told Ryan my suspicions that my prenatal was causing night-wakefulness, and we decided it was probably a placebo thing. I decided that whether it was a "sugar-pill" thing or not, I was sleeping, and I didn't mind if I was just playing games with my brain.
Then I found THIS (gotta love google-ing). Insomnia is a documented side-effect of prenatals! Alright, now does everyone else know this already but me? If you already knew this, then shake your head and move on to the next blog. If you didn't already know this, have you had any problems like this? Do you know that your waking could be caused by your vitamins?!
My SIMPLE solution is that I've started taking my prenatal first thing in the morning. (To my surprise, it isn't even making me feel sick, and I am definitely still sleeping!) Awesome, huh? Simple solution to a HUGE problem.
Disclosures: I know you are dying to know... No, we are not expecting, but I am still nursing Collin once a day. I figure extra vitamins are good for me anyway, and why not take a prenatal over any 'ol multi-vitamin? Hope that satisfies your extra curiosity.
Happy sleeping to you all, because I know I'm sleeping tonight!
9 comments:
Hmmmm! That's really interesting! I didn't know that - but then, I've NEVER had problems sleeping so I never would have figured that out for myself. I'm like a professional sleeper - I can sleep for forever, so my occasional vitamin-taking has never been strong enough, I guess, to wake me up during the night. It's great that you've identified the culprit, though! And double great that you can take your pre-nate in the morning now! (I'm with you on the weak stomach, as you well know. Just the thought of taking a pill in the morning makes my stomach turn!)
Wow- I'm SO glad you've figured it out. I've actually never known anyone who took their prenatal at night. I've always taken mine right after breakfast. (I'm sure other women to, I just don't know them) But the very happy point is that you've figured it out!!!! YIPPEEE!!! And yeah for sleep! I'll come stay with you again anytime, if you need a little sleep therapy again. :)
I'm glad that your self-diagnosis turned out to be fact. Maybe I'll have to start taking my pre-natal in the morning...
Man I should have read this an hour ago...as I just took my pre-natal vitamin for the night. I will be interested in seeing if it causes me to have insomnia as I have that problem from time to time too.....but since I'm leaving in a week for vacation I'm sure I'll be up everynight packing my suitcase in my mind. Great advice!
I don't think everyone knows this. I don't think ANYONE knows this. I'm betting there are lots of pregnant women out there suffering insomnia and thinking it's just because they are pregnant. It will go away when they stop taking them, and they will never figure it out. But hallelujah that you figured it out and now you can go get some sleep!
I hadn't heard that about prenatals, I also take mine at night and have a hard time falling asleep... Thanks for the info.
PS I'm glad you liked the chicken recipe!
I take mine at night but don't usually have problems. I'm glad that you've figured things out! Wahoo!!!
Nice work, Lindsey. I just need to be better about taking vitamins, period. But now I'll know not to take them at night!
So on a semi-related note, my cousin's baby had horrific colic. Awful. Horrible. And she ran out of her prenatal, didn't take it for three days--and the colic went away. It was the prenatal.
Don't you love how we all just happily take our little pills so that we can grow happy healthy babies--and don't even realize the crazy side effects?! So glad you figured this out and you get to sleep again!!
Post a Comment