Collin had the most curious look on his face as we packed up; he knew something fun and different was going to happen, but he just couldn't figure out what. (We'd only ever left on the bikes directly from our house before this excursion.)
When we got there and put on his helmet, he perked right up and was so excited to get on Daddy's bike.
We only rode about 8 very casual miles, stopping at about 6 miles for our picnic, but it was wonderful. Here's Collin running after Dad in the park where we ate lunch.
Do you ever have those moments of just feeling happy? You know the ones: When you realize that life is pretty good, and you need to stop fussing over the details? I get so caught up in nap-schedules, running errands, and planning activities that I forget to take a step back and look at my life. I am so happy.
All these other little families were also riding their bikes, and I realized that I was one of those "cute little families" riding our bikes on the trail on Saturday morning. I was one of them. Collin looked so cute and happy, and I realized that I am happy. I love my little family.
One other family even stopped and asked if we'd like her to take our picture. Collin looks a little worse for the wear, but this is my little family.
About a month ago Ryan asked me what I would have said when I was younger that my dream life would be. That's when I remembered: This is it! I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom. I wanted to go to the park and play with my child. I wanted to send my cute hubby off to work each morning and greet him with a warm meal each evening. I wanted a mini-van (just kidding, but you know what I mean!). 
And how can I not be happy when I have these two boys to give me hugs and kisses? I don't know how many of you are living your "dream life," but when the poop is oozing out of the side of the diaper leaving Hobby Lobby (last week) or the baby decides to wake up cranky more than an hour early (Saturday morning), try to take a step back and remember the big picture. I know our bike ride on Saturday refocused my efforts as a mom.
Yep, this is what I wanted!
6 comments:
This post makes me happy in so many ways : ).
YAY! I love those moments, and I love your cute little family.
Families like yours make me happy too. :)
We must have missed you, we hit the trail Saturday too!
You make a very good point. You have a cute little family, and we should be happy with what we've got, and enjoy it! I still think the poopie diapers are a very unfortunate thing though!
I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought my family was extra cute or extra wonderful or extra happy. What I wanted to say was that you TOO have a wonderful, cute, happy family. I wanted you each to take that step back - that I hadn't done in too long - and see how happy you are too.
great post, linds. nice work. ;)
Post a Comment