I’m home again, and home again for a while. Thank goodness. I really think that though I like to see people and places that I have heard of, I am really not much interested in long car rides, long waits in airports, and living out of a suitcase. But, despite all of these drawbacks, we had a wonderful trip to Canada for Ryan’s grandparents’ 60th wedding anniversary.
We started our trip by driving to St. Louis and spending the evening with my parents. We left Sunday, August 24 by plane, with a layover in Minneapolis. We arrived in Portland, OR where Ryan’s parents picked us up. We stayed Sunday and Monday night at their home in Vancouver, Washington.
On Tuesday morning, we drove to Seattle where we stayed with Ryan’s sister.

Wednesday morning we visited the Space Needle. What a strange (and neat) place!



On Wednesday afternoon, we drove to Spokane, Washington where we teamed up with the rest of Ryan’s family to carpool to Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada.

Thursday we drove to Canada. We saw some of the most amazing scenery. I love the mountains covered in pine trees. The variety of shades of green never ceases to amaze me. It was a long way, but it was truly beautiful.

Friday morning we visited two homes built by Grandpa Fooks (he was an architect) and where Ryan’s mother grew up. Friday night we had a barbeque at a local Lethbridge park. Saturday we prepared food and decorated the cultural hall all morning for the open house. Lots of people came, the food was great, the decorations were even better, and Grandma and Grandpa were so happy to see all their friends.

After the open house, we had a catered dinner for the family and entertainment provided by Ryan’s Uncle Scott, who works gigs in a piano bar.

Sunday we had brunch as a family and attended sacrament meeting. To close our giant family reunion, we had a family fireside back at Grandpa and Grandma’s home. The great-grandchildren (most of the 21 of them!) sang “I Am a Child of God.” Grandma and Grandpa bore their testimonies. Each of the grandchildren gave updates on their lives and happenings. It was a wonderful close to a wonderful weekend.

Monday morning started our LONG trek home: 15 hours by car. Tuesday we continued with 10 hours in airports, and then the last 3 hours by car back to Peoria. We had a great time. It was nice to be able to meet all of Ryan’s aunts, uncles, and cousins.
Our little guy will be great-grandchild #23. He has a great heritage of family and faith. What a wonderful way to spend time with our eternal family.
4 comments:
Sounds like you guys had a great time! Gotta love traveling long distances. Looks like you have a cute tiny baby bump! Getting closer. Hurray for Babies.
Oh to be on the West Coast. I'm jealous! It looks like you had fun. I've never been to the space needle. I'm not sure if Logan will take me there or not? I'd like to go though.
Fun for you! I know what you mean about living out of a suitcase. Bummer, but in the end worth it. I'm so happy you can get all your traveling in now. It's a total pain going anywhere with a baby, in my humble opinion. Oh, and in response to your last blog. Lane kicked all the time and he's still super duper fidgety, so I think your little guy will be too. Lane does sleep 12 hours at night, so I think his movements wear him out-- I hope the same goes for Baby Williams. Miss you much. Love, me
Very cool (except for all the driving and waiting parts!). Thanks for sharing!
~chandi
Post a Comment