What a neat coincidence - the double 35, that is.
I went to the doc again today. They estimate his weight at about 6 pounds 4 ounces, which is crazy to me, since many babies are born at that weight. Oddly, his femur length is now lagging behind his other body measurements, but the tech says it is common for certain things to grow quickly and then lag while other parts catch up.
He is still averaging right at about 35 weeks, whereas my belly is now measuring at 33 weeks. I figure that's close enough! I am now into weekly doctor's appointments (ugh!), but at least I know that means he'll be here sooner. My last ultrasound is scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving, and then... the waiting game.
Yesterday I asked the doc how early they would allow for an elective induction. As of now, the necessity for an induction based on a medical need is not likely (which I am grateful for), but I didn't know my docs' policy for electing to be induced. I know some offices have a mandatory 41-week rule.
Now you ask, why would she WANT to be induced? (No, I am really not all that uncomfortable... yet.) To be honest, it all centers around convenience. My due date is exactly one week before Christmas. Our anniversary is two days after Christmas. Bottom line: We are VERY interested in having this little guy out and home before these two "holidays."
So, I asked the doc the question. The answer? Apparently, there is a correlation between emergency c-sections and inductions of women with first babies, so my doctor's office strives to avoid inducing for non-medical reasons as much as possible. Oh no!
And now I put the questions to you: What are your thoughts on induction, specifically first baby induction? Am I being selfish to try to "schedule" his birthday around Christmas and our anniversary? Does anyone have experience with pitocin-contractions vs. natural-contractions? If you were induced for non-medical reasons, how long after your due date did they make you wait/did you choose to wait?
Yes, I am full of questions... and hopefully, you will be full of comments! Bring 'em on.
10 comments:
Hi Lindsey,
I grew up with Ryan in Maine, and like to check out your blog! I wasn't induced but I did have to have a c-section and it was TERRIBLE! You want to avoid c-sections in my opinion. The recovery is really long and hard and there are many complications that can occur. My Dr said that if you are induced in your 1st pregnancy, you chance of c-section triples.
My birthday is a week before Christmas and my anniversary is the 16th...yeah it's a busy one but it all works out. Chances are he'll come right on time and everything will be fine.
anyways- good luck to you and we can't wait to see the little man! Tell Ryan hi!!
I was induced with Hayden 1 week early, not elective however. But I only was in labor for 7 hours. I also didn't have an epidural so that could have help speed things along. They say if you aren't ready and you have an epidural that increases your chance of c-section. Everyone is different, hard to say for sure. Good luck and hopefully you don't go over!
I am anti-elective-induction (obviously, if you saw my blog the past few weeks!) for a few reasons:
1. I'm of the mindset that babies come when they are ready (unless there's a medical issue of course)
2. I've read that pitocin-induced contractions frequently come on very strong and can be hard on the baby (even if they're safe, I don't want my baby to have more trauma than he's already going through in birth)
3. I've also read the same thing about the correlation between inductions and c-sections; if you're body and baby just aren't ready they may not work they way they are supposed to which leads to more complications and could eventually lead to a c-section
There's my 2 cents! Check out my sister-in-law's blog at lovemymunchkins.blogspot.com - she's done tons of research on childbirth and has all sorts of articles and links and is happy to share!
Good luck with your decision!
Well, my doctor induced me with baby #1 and after 13 hours of labor I did end up having a c-sect. However, it was NOT an emergency and after she was born we found out that her cord was super short and she never would have made it down the birth canal. SO, there is a reason your body does what it does. Then, with baby #2, I got to SCHEDULE the c-section and that was GREAT! We worked it around TONS of other family birthdays and Preston's work schedule. Needless to say, I say YOU GO and fight to schedule the poor kid a birthday of his very own - not with an anniversary or Christmas. And for me, I really don't mind the c-section. Hope that helps!
~Chandi
Oh, did I say that I actually CHOSE a c-section the second time around. My doctor said I could go vbac, but I chose c-section because they really aren't bad! Nothing to be afraid of in my opinion!
~Chandi
Hey linds, I was induced and i had no complications. by the time active labor came, grady was out in five pushes. infact, i loved it cause there was no guessing game of when should i go to the hospital. it was a great experience for me and i will definitly try to do it again.
Wow, so many differing opinions. Well, you know my all natural tree hugging opinions. But I think the bottom line is- stay close to the Spirit, pray about it, discuss it with Ryan and decide what's best for YOU and the BABY. Do not base your judgment on dates and holidays. That is not as important as YOUR health and the BABY'S health. Believe me. Of course I could go on and on as to why doing anything naturally is God's way :) However, I do know if problems arise God made doctors' minds keen and able to help us. But again, bottom line... everyone's health. Birth is so amazing and beautiful and your body will know what to do and when to do it. Once you mess with the process the rest of the dominoes can fall. But if you feel good about interjecting, then you should take that feeling and run with it! You are the Mama! :)
I want to let you all know how much I love, admire, and respect you. Thank you for all the advice. I appreciate your willingness to share your varied experiences and opinions. I know that you all will support Ryan and I with whatever we decide is best for us and our baby. With love, Linds
Hey Linz,
I'm a little behind on this one but I wanted to comment anyway.
I'm a fan of the all natural route and have pretty strong feelings against unnecessary inductions. There are people who it works perfectly with and have an easy time, but I think the risks are too high. When you start down the road of medical intervention you pretty much are signing up for all of it-- epidural, pit, etc and all that has been shown to increase your chance of a c-section. A c-section was the last thing I wanted! It's a long recovery and you are then usually forced to have c-sections for the rest of your kids. And many doctors will only let you have 3 c-sections.
If there is a medical reason for induction than of course you should do it, but I don't think schedules is a good enough reason to take the risk. As nice as it would be to know exactly when your baby is coming! As others have said, babies come when they are ready.
At the end of the day, the best thing you can do is understand all your options and be fully informed of all the risks etc. If at that point you feel like the best thing for you and your baby is an induction than do it. I know it gets hard at the end waiting and you get anxious to meet that little babe, but enjoy those days with just your husband. Get as much sleep as your growing belly will allow. And know that your baby will come out at the best time for him.
love you!!!
Here's my experience:
Baby #1's due date was my birthday and I had my heart set on having her a week early. I made no mention of this to my Dr. but 5 days before my due date having no contractions but effaced and dialated to 3 he let me know that if I wanted to I could. He admitted it wasn't typical, but given my current measurements I could opt for it if I wanted. Thinking it would be set for the next week after my due date I said yes. He came back saying I could have it the next day - I was shocked! But then I was also excited to know she would have her own birthday - selfish? But things went fine. Induced at 5, born at 1 with 3 pushes. Baby #2 was actually born 9 days early with no induction.
Trust your doctor - only he/she knows all your facts and circumstances. And then just let your "gut" tell you what to do. I've come to realize nearly every person has a different story with delivering a baby. No one is the exact same! And there are so many choices and decisions to make...good luck!
Post a Comment